Higurashi is a supernatural, horror, and mystery anime that is the pinnacle of all genres. It is an absolute master of storytelling, and it is well-written and flawlessly executed.
There are five series available on the TV, as well as two OVAs and three Higurashi extras.
Higurashi can be described as a masterwork and must-watch for horror fans!
About Higurashi – When They Cry
In the summer of 1983, Keiichi Maebara has just moved to the quiet little village of Hinamizawa and quickly becomes inseparable friends with classmates Rena Ryuuguu, Mion Sonozaki, Satoko Houjou, and Rika Furude.
However, darkness lurks beneath the surface of their seemingly idyllic existence. Keiichi learns about the local stories surrounding the village’s yearly celebration as it prepares for it.
To his horror, he learns that the town has seen multiple killings and disappearances in recent years, all of which appear to be linked to the festival and the village’s patron god, Oyashiro.
Keiichi tries to inquire about these instances with his new pals, but they remain curiously silent and refuse to provide him with the information he requires.
As strange events continue to occur, he begins to wonder what more his pals are hiding from him and whether he can trust them at all.
When Keiichi’s paranoia and psychosis begin to take root in his heart, he will be drawn right into the mysteries at hand in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, a story recounted in many arcs.
Higurashi is a slap in the face to those who think of anime as children’s cartoons.’
The show begins with a lighthearted atmosphere and tone, but as it progresses, it reveals its darker side. The plot is contained within a time loop and examines every decision that a character can make with the outcome.
As we progress through the story, the plot becomes more confusing, leading us to wonder if a specific event or event can be used as a clue, or if it is simply a hallucination of the characters’ imagination.
The story is about despair, death, mass paranoia, and horrible murders, all of which are repeatedly reset until all of the evidence is gathered to reveal the truth.
Higurashi’s animation isn’t the best, but it works well with the story and depicts the horrors that the characters face quite well.
The music is a resounding reflection of the chilling darkness and terrible atmosphere that permeates the entire show.
I. TV Series
- When They Crying (2006)
- When They Crying: Kai (2007)
- When They Crying: Rei (2009)
- Umineko The Cry of the Heart (2009)
- The Higurashi Show: They Crry Then They Cry Gou (2020) (ongoing)
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira (2011-2012)
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku: Outbreak (2013)
- Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Special Nekogoroshi-hen (2007)
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Specials (2007)
- Umineko no Naku Koro ni Specials (2009)
Where To Watch Higurashi
Watch “HIGURASHI When they” CRY on VRV
Watch “HIGURASHI Then, when they” CRY on HULU
Watch “HIGURASHI When they” CRY on FUNIMATION
How much Time Will It Take To Watch?
It takes forty-five hours and four minutes to view every episode of Higurashi’s The Time to die.
This includes all TV programs, OVAs, and specials.
Here’s a shortlist of each of the installments and their run times in the order of release date:
- When they cry – 624 minutes
- When They Crying: Kai – 576 minutes
- Higurashi not Naku Koro Ni Special Nekogoroshi-hen – 23 mins
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Specials – 24 minutes
- When They Crying: Rei 150 episodes
- The Umineko Show: What They Crying 598 minutes
- Umineko No Naku Koro ni Specials – 26 minutes
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira – 116 minutes
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku: Outbreak – 52 minutes
- Higurashi: If They Crry Gou – 552 minutes (ongoing)
The release order is the most suggested way to see Higurashi. OVAs can be used to tell storylines that can be seen after Season 1 ends.
Higurashi Naku Koro Ni Kira (2011-12) is optional because it is unrelated to the main plot and is filled with fan service. The special contains brief Season 2 clips and can be skipped.
We hope, you loved this article